Dr. Deborah Stokes – Licensed Psychologist & Licensed Professional Counselor
Deborah Stokes is a licensed psychologist and licensed professional counselor with twenty seven years in the mental health field. She holds a PhD in Psychology with an emphasis in Psychophysiology from the Union Institute. Dr. Stokes was a traditional psychotherapist for eighteen years prior to starting her neurotherapy practice. It wasn’t until she experienced two healings in her own life using traditional biofeedback and neurofeedback (EEG biofeedback) that she began investigating these methods. She has been practicing neurofeedback and other neurotherapies fulltime since 2000.
Dr. Stokes has completed well over 1000 hours of workshops, conferences and case consultations with experts in the area of neurofeedback. She has provided mentoring and neurofeedback internships to new professionals in the field since 2003. She has presented her migraine study results at several international biofeedback and neurofeedback conferences.
Ph.D. in Psychology with an emphasis in Psychophysiology The Union Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio – 2002
M.Ed. in Counseling George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia – 1987
B.S. in Behavioral Science University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland – 1983
Licenses & Certifications
Licensed Psychologist in Washington D.C. since January 2007
Licensed Professional Counselor since 1994 in Washington, D.C. and in Virginia since 2001
Certified Addictions Counselor since 1994
Certified in EEG Biofeedback by the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America since 2003
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Board Member of the International Society of Neurofeedback and Research (ISNR)
Regular Member of International Society of Neurofeedback and Research
Affiliate of EEG Spectrum International, Inc
Affiliate of EEG Associates, International, Inc
American Headache Society
Association of Applied Psychophysiology
American Psychological Association
American Counseling Association
Biofeedback Certification Institute of America
Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors Association
DC Psychological Association
Media Events and Special Presentations
Presented “Neurofeedback: An Alternative Therapy for Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction in Patients with Mitochondrial Disease” at the Mitochondrial Medicine 2012 Symposium June 16, 2012 in Bethesda, Maryland
Published “An Interview with Elmer Green” in the Historical Archives Section of the Journal of Neurotherapy, Vol. 16/Number 2/April-June 2012
Featured interview with Dr. Stokes in cover story on A Look Into Counseling’s Future in Counseling Today Magazine (a publication of the American Counseling Association) March 2012 (Volume 54/Number 9) in article entitled “What the Future Holds for the Counseling Profession” by Lynn Shallcross
Presented on “We are Doing More than Just Changing Brainwaves- How Epigenetics, Non Linear Dynamics, Psychoneuroimmunology and Physics May Influence Our Work” at the EEG Spectrum Clinical Exchange Conference April 29, 2011, Chicago, Illinois
Ran workshop on the Passive Infrared Hemoencephalography device at the EEG Spectrum Clinical Exchange Conference April 29, 2011, Chicago, Illinois
Appeared in MORE magazine, February 2011 issue in article entitled “Calming Your Internal Storms” by Katherine Ellison.
Appeared in Ladies Home Journal, Dec 2010/Jan2011 issue in article entitled “Good Alternatives: The Benefits of Nontraditional Medicine: Biofeedback” by Ginny Graves.
Presented migraine study entitled “Neurofeedback and Biofeedback with 37 Migraineurs: A Clinical Outcome Study” at the Mid Atlantic Society of Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Spring 2010 Conference, “Integrating Treatment Approaches to Headaches”, April 24, 2010, Loyola College Graduate Center, Columbia, MD.
Presented a case study “SPECT, Quantitative EEG and TOVAs Before and After Neurofeedback With A Recovering Cocaine Addict” at the EEG Spectrum International Clinical Exchange Conference, April 19, 2010, Chicago, IL.
Appeared in Livestrong Quarterly, April 2010 issue in article entitled “Biofeedback’s New Buzz”, by Todd Balf.
Featured interview with Dr. Stokes in the March 2010 issue of Synapse magazine, a publication of EEG Spectrum International.
Published migraine study in February 2010 entitled “Neurofeedback and Biofeedback with 37 Migraineurs: A Clinical Outcome Study” in the medical journal Behavioral and Brain Functions.
Appeared in the Washington Post’s Health Section, December 15, 2009 in article on neurofeedback entitled “Could Neurofeedback Help Treat ADHD?” by Katherine Ellison.
Appeared in US News and World Report’s special medical issue December 2009 in article on Neurofeedback entitled “The Lure of an ADHD Treatment Minus the Meds” by Megan Johnson.
Interviewed in US News and World Report June 16, 2008 issue for article entitled “Listen to Your Heart Rate: Biofeedback is Gaining Ground as a Stress Management Tool” by Deborah Kotz.
Appeared on NBC local news (Channel 4 at 11 pm with Doreen Gentzler) November 19, 2007 Health Report entitled “Mind Games”.
Appeared on ABC local news (Channel 7 at 5 pm with Kathy Fowler) February 23, 2007 Health Report entitled Migraine Treatment.
Mentioned in the January 2007 issue of Men’s Vogue in article entitled Wired for Victory by D.T. Max.
Featured in the January 2006 issue of Washingtonian magazine in story entitled “Pumping Neurons” by Jody Jaffe.
Featured in the June 29, 2004 Washington Post Health section story on alternative mental health treatments entitled “All In The Head” by Sandra Boodman.
Featured in the April 2004 issue of Alternative Medicine magazine in story on alternative treatments for ADHD entitled “Can You Retrain Your Brain?” by Peter Jaret.
Presented on panel devoted to “Recent Advances in Biofeedback for Migraine Headaches” at the International Society for Neuronal Regulation’s Conference in Ft. Lauderdale, FL – August 26, 2004.
Presented “Fifteen Migraine Case Studies Using Neurofeedback with or without Peripheral Measures” at Winter Brain Future Health Conference, Palm Springs, CA – February 7, 2004.
Presented on panel devoted to “Recent Advances in Biofeedback for Migraine Headaches” at Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback Conference in Colorado Springs, CO – April 3, 2004.
Guest on Z-104’s “Speaking of Women” radio show Topic:“Neurofeedback” – June 17, 2001.
Guest on “Metro Magazine” television show Topic:“Neurofeedback” – September 1, 2001.
Guest on the Judy Templeton radio show “It’s Only Natural”, WCBN Topic:“Neurofeedback” – March 16, 2002.
Conferences, Workshops, and Training Completed
Dr. Stokes has received over 1000 hours of continuing education and professional development from a wide variety of experts and sources in the field of neurotherapy, biofeedback, medicine and psychology. See below for a partial list:
1) Conference on Neurofeedback with Margaret Ayers, Ph.D. from Neuropathways October 20 and 21, 2000; Washington, D.C.
2) Introductory Course on Beta/SMR Neurofeedback with Siegfried Othmer, Ph.D. & Susan Othmer (EEG Spectrum, International) January 18 – 22, 2001; Warner Hills, CA
3) Winter Brain Conference January 31 – February 6, 2001; Miami, FL
4) Neurofeedback lecture with Kathy Forti, Ph.D. at the Family Therapy Networker Conference March 30 – April 1, 2001; Washington, D.C.
5) Learning and the Brain Conference May 1, 2001; Washington, D.C.
6) STENS General Biofeedback Training with Tony Hughes May 12 – 16, 2001; Denver, Colorado
7) Neurofeedback and Brain Functioning Consultation Group with Angelo Bolea, Ph.D. May 23, 2001; Washington, D.C.
8) Alpha/Theta Neurofeedback Training with Neil King, LCSW June 18 & 19, 2001; Northampton, MA
9) Neurofeedback and Brain Functioning Consultation Group with Angelo Bolea, Ph.D. June 27, 2001; Washington, D.C.
10) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine Conferencewith Karl Pribram, M.D. (Part I) September 9, 2001; Washington, D.C.
11) Advanced Alpha/Theta with William Scott, BSW, CCDP October 19, 2001; Oxnard, CA
12) Neurofeedback Clinical Interchange Conference (EEG Spectrum International) October 19 – 23, 2001; Oxnard, CA
13) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine Conferencewith Karl Pribram, M.D. (Part II) November 11, 2001; Washington, D.C.
14) Lecture entitled “Brain Imaging in Depression: Implications forAntidepressant Treatment” with Wayne Drevets, MD, Chief of the MoodDisorders Imaging Branch at the National Institutes of Mental Health April 9, 2002; Alexandria, VA
15) Conference on “A Diversity of Bio/Neurofeedback Applications”by the Mid-Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine June 8, 2002; Bethesda, MD
16) International Society for Neuronal Regulation Annual Conference September 11-15, 2002; Scottsdale, AZ
17) Training on NeuroCarePro and the Roshi (EEG disentrainment) with Grant Bright, Ph.D. December 9-12, 2002; Alexandria, VA
18) Advanced Neurotherapy Practicum with Sue Othmer (EEG Institute) April 12 &13, 2003; Alexandria, VA;
19) Advanced Neurotherapy Assessment Techniques with Peter Van Deusen June 14 & 15, 2003; McLean, VA
20) Meeting with Valdeane Brown, Ph.D. and the Alpha Prime Group July 3, 2003; Washington, D.C
21) Workshop on the NeuroCarePro with Alan Bachers, Ph.D. July 12 &13, 2003; Olney, MD
22) International Society for Neuronal Regulation Conference September 18-21, 2003; Houston, TX
23) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine Annual Conference- Workshop with Thomas Brownback, M.Ed. on QEEG-Guided Neurofeedback Protocols October 18, 2003; Baltimore, MD
24) Protocol Summit – EEG Spectrum International with Michael Cohen November 16, 2003; Alexandria, VA
25) Advanced Theory & Practice EEG Biofeedback Course with Susan and Siegfried Othmer April 12 & 13, 2003; Alexandria, VA
26) Association of Applied Psychophysiology & Biofeedback’s 35th Annual Conference “Launching New Mind-Body Paradigms” April 2-4, 2004; Colorado Springs, CO;
27) International Society for Neuronal Regulation’s 12th Annual Conference August 26-29, 2004; Ft. Lauderdale, FL
28) Winter Brain Conference January 31- Feb 8, 2005; Palm Springs, CA
29) Menninger Conference “Feeling Crazy/Looking Normal: Psychodynamic Milieu Treatment” April 22, 2005; Washington, D.C.
30) Conference sponsored by The Amen Clinic “Lessons from Neuroscience on Hard to Treat Patients” with Daniel Amen, MD September 15, 2005; Bethesda, MD
31) Workshop sponsored by The Recovery Center of Northern Virginia with Robert Bishop, MD “Treating Substance Abuse and Trauma” September 21, 2005; Herndon, VA
32) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Annual Conference “Childhood Mental Health Disorders” October 15, 2005; Columbia, MD
33) International Society for Neuronal Regulation’s 14th Annual Conference September 5-10, 2006; Atlanta, GA
34) Conference Sponsored by The Meadows “The Effects of Trauma on the Self” with Bessel van der Kolk, MD April 18, 2007; Washington, DC
35) International Society for Neurofeedback and Research’s 15th Annual Conference September 6-9, 2007; San Diego, CA
36) EEG Spectrum International Clinical Exchange Conference April 25-27, 2008; Arlington, VA
37) Association of Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback’s 39th Annual Meeting May 13-18, 2008; Daytona Beach, FL
38) International Society for Neurofeedback and Research’s 16th Annual Conference “Connecting Applied Neuroscience to the World” August 26-31, 2008; San Antonio, TX
39) 6 hour Course on “Ethical Pitfalls: Avoiding Professional Hazards” September 24, 2008; Alexandria, VA
40) Three Day Introductory Course for the Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) September 19-21, 2008; Olney, MD
41) Conference Sponsored by The Meadows with John Bradshaw “On the Shadow Self” October 17, 2008; Washington, DC
42) Annual Headache Research Summit at the National Institutes of Health October 29-30, 2008; Bethesda, MD
43) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Fall Conference “Clinical Biofeedback: Applications for PTSD and Trauma” November 1, 2008; Columbia, MD
44) Talk sponsored by Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences By Paul Rapp, PhD entitled “Psychoanalysis, Cognitive Neuroscience and Dynamical Systems Theory” December 15, 2008; Bethesda, MD
45) Attended tribute to brain scientist Karl Pribram, MD in honor of his 90th birthday at the Library of Congress on February 23rd, 2009 attended by 60 eminent brain scientists from around the world.
46) Annual Advanced Conference on the Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) April 23 – 25 in Los Gatos, CA
47) Z Score Neurofeedback Training on Functional Connectivity using the Atlantis 4 X 4, July 17-19, 2009, Alexandria, VA with Penijean Rutter, M.S.
48) Annual Conference of the International Society of Neurofeedback and Research, September 3-6, 2009, Indianapolis, IN
49) 14th Congress of the International Headache Society, September 10-13, 2009, Philadelphia, PA
50) Lecture entitled “Pain and the Brain” by Paul Rapp, PhD, Mary Lee Esty, PhD and Emily Perlman, M.S. at the Fibromyalgia Support Group’s monthly meeting in Fairfax, VA September 14, 2009
51) Advanced training in the Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS), Sept 25-27, 2009 in Rockville, MD
52) EEG Spectrum International’s Clinical Exchange Conference, Chicago, IL April 16-18, 2010.
53) Mid Atlantic Society of Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Spring 2010 Conference, “Integrating Treatment Approaches to Headaches”, April 24, 2010, Loyola College Graduate Center, Columbia, MD.
54) Licensed Professional Counselor’s Clinical Supervisors Training, Falls Church, VA, May 7-9, 2010.
55) International Society of Neurofeedback and Research Conference, Denver, CO, September 30-October 3, 2010.
56) Traditional Chinese Medicine Foundation, Building Bridges of Integration for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chantilly, VA October 14-17, 2010
57) International Society of Neurofeedback and Research’s Annual Board Retreat, March 30-April 3, 2011, Carefree, AZ
58) EEG Spectrum Clinical Exchange Conference April 28-29, 2011, Chicago, IL
59) The Amen Solution Exclusive Launch Party and Open House with Dr. Daniel Amen, Thursday March 10, 2011 in Reston, VA
60) Mid Atlantic Society of Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine Spring Conference featuring Bob Whitehouse, Ed.D. on “Capnometry and Heart Rate Variability” April 30, 2011, Columbia, MD
61) International Society of Neurofeedback and Research Annual Conference September 14-18, 2011, Phoenix, AZ
62) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Fall Conference. Topic: Multimodal Evaluation Strategies for Improving Self-Regulation: An Integrative Approach, by Leslie Sherlin, PhD, October 29, 2011 Columbia, MD
63) A Dialog with Elmer Green, PhD (discoverer of biofeedback), Saturday November 12, 2011 from 10am until 10 pm Topeka, KS
64) The Nuts and Bolts of Legal & Ethical Practice by Edward Zuckerman, PhD, March 12, 2012 Alexandria, VA
65) Energy Medicine with Norman Shealy, MD, March 24, Oakton, VA
66) Mid Atlantic Society for Biofeedback and Behavioral Medicine’s Annual Board Retreat, April 27 & 28, 2012, Bon Secours Retreat & Conference Center, Marriotsville, MD
67) Mitochondrial Medicine 2012: From Genomics and Systems Biology to Translation, June 13-16, 2012 Bethesda, MD
68) From A to Z Score Brain Functions, qEEG, Neurotherapy and More, Thomas and Linda Brownback, July 14 & 15, 2012 Reston, VA
69) Lunch and Learn Networking Luncheon with the top substance abuse treatment centers at 2941 Restaurant on July 25, 2012
70) Pain: Mixed Modality Review and Practice with Michael Beasley July 27-30 Alexandria, VA